top of page

Bridges of Inverness, Scotland

Inverness, in the Highlands of Scotland, has several early, small-scale suspension bridges that are both decorated and decorative. Starting at the downstream end of the old town area, Greig Street Bridge is a gorgeous small-scale suspension bridge built in 1881. The suspension towers each consist of an open interlaced iron lattice about 30 feet high, topped by decorative finials. The corner bracing of the portals is a decorative series of circles and curlicues, and the entire bridge is painted sparkling white. A date plaque on the wall of one of the towers reads “Rose Street Foundry, Inverness, 1881.”

The bridge is only about 100 feet long and about ten feet wide, and carries pedestrians only. The quaint bridge offers a prominent view of the historic and attractive Inverness Castle. As a result, this is probably the most romantic setting in Inverness, documented by the attachment of multiple padlocks. On the south bank, the bridge terminates at the Old High Church, a small but appealing church that dates to the 1100s and which served an important role during the Jacobite Rebellion.

Visible a short distance upstream of the Castle, Infirmary Bridge is almost an identical twin of Greig Street Bridge but on a slightly reduced scale. The white iron lattice towers, use of decorative circles in the corner bracing, and finials on top of the end posts are all similar to those on the Greig Street Bridge. The deck is only about five feet wide, and, like Greig Street Bridge, it is pedestrian-only. Constructed in 1879, the plaque on the suspension tower reads “W. Smith & Son, Ness Iron Works, Inverness.” On its south end, Infirmary Bridge links into the Great Glen Way at the Inverness War Memorial and Cavell Gardens.

bottom of page